> can you teach me how to retrieve random data from my
 > database? like for example...i have a list of names on my
 > database and i'd like to retrieve only one name at a
 > time..randomly. how do i go about this?

This is really a database question rather than a php question and you
haven't said which database you're using so it's hard to give a
definitive answer.  In MySQL you'd do something like this:

Select * from some_table where some_condition order by RAND() limit 1;

That would select one random row out of all rows that meet
"some_condition".

CYA, Dave