Apache 1.3.23 + PHP 4.1.2 + PostgreSQl 7.2

I have a guestbook that I would like to display the current month's entries.
I can display all the entries before the current month, but i can't seem to
figure out how to extract the currrent month's.

Although the code below is a db issue, I don't know whether I should write
code to extract the info before or after the db connection. Should I:

        1.  Set up the parameters beforehand in PHP, and then do a query;
        2.  Within the query itself (as the code I tried [and didn't work] below);
        3.  Or, somehow in PHP, after I get all the results [obviously without the

                db WHERE clause].

<?php
// lots of code

$db = pg_connect("dbname=rap user=postgres");
$query = "SELECT * FROM guest WHERE pdate = "{$_SESSION['pdate'] ==
date('Y-m')";  // pdate is formatted ('Y-m-d')

// etc, etc. . .
?>

I know this is a simple question -- but my mind's totally blotto after a
day's coding.

Any help, pointers of where to look, or admonitions will be gratefully
accepted.

Tia,
Andre