I can almost guarantee that it's not the second line that is "failing",
the problem here is that $result is not containing naything, and that is
normally due to the fact that you are not connecting to the db, or the
table "tablename" is not there.

I use the following format as my "standard" MySQL connect and query snippet:

$link = @mysql_connect("localhost",$username,$password) or die ('Could
not connect!'); //@ suppresses the default error message generated by
this function and the "or die()" bit kills the script right then and
there should it not be able to connect.
        mysql_select_db("YOUR_DB_NAME",$link);
        $sql = "select * from your_table_name";
        if ( $result = mysql_query($sql)) {  // checks to see if $result
contains anything before it even tries to fetch an associative array
from it.
             $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
        } else {
        echo "Empty result set!";

Note also that I use mysql_fetch_assoc and NOT mysql_fecth_array, as 9
out of 10 times, you don't need the array element id's that is returned
by mysql_fetch_array.