Ahhh, good old UO.  I remember GMing my taming, crazy what they've done to
the game since I've quit (120 skill, insane!).

I'm not completely sure of a few things about your question and I think that
I could help if you supply the answers to my questions.

Does one tamer's taming of an animal increase ALL animals by a generic
amount (i.e., John tames "a cow" for the first time, then Bill tames it,
then John tames "a polar bear" for the first time and, again, Bill retames
it; do both examples raise the requirement 9.8 points or is it based on the
animal)?

If it is generic the answer is simple, if not, it might get a little more
complicated.