>Sorry for the off topic post, but this is by far the most experienced list
>I've found.
>
>I've got a php page that show all the .gif and .jpeg files in an directory
>via a form based drop down menu.
>
>On the same page, I've also got a link that opens a new window, and allows
>the user to upload an image to that same directory.
>
>Is there any way, when the upload window is closed, to force a reload of
>the other page, so the dynamic pop-up reflects the recent upload?

You could:
Use a META tag in the directory window to for a reload
<HEAD>
  <META HTTP-EQUIV=REDIRECT CONTENT="20;URL=<?=$PHP_SELF?>">
</HEAD>

Maybe convince the CLOSE button that it's:
ACTION=http://example.com/directory.php?nocache=<?=mt_rand()?>
TARGET="directory_window"
Dunno how that jives with JavaScript's window closing code.

--
Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm
I'm looking for a PRO QUALITY two-input sound card supported by Linux (any