on 30/07/02 7:45 AM, Richard Lynch ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> You're barking down the wrong well. :-)

LMAO

> AES_ENCRYPT/AES_DECRYPT is using 128-bit encryption, which would be fine,
> but *ANYBODY* who manages to read your "password" (aka "key_string" in the
> arg_list) could snatch the CC#s.  Since PHP can read the source to execute
> to get the password, that makes this suitable *ONLY* if:
> 1. You are using SSL (HTTPS)
> 2. You *NEVER* store the password anywhere -- It must be typed by a human
> into the web-page to store/retrieve the CC#s.
> That doesn't sound like what you want.

Wouldn't I have this same problem with ANY string encrypted with a key?
Either way the key has to be stored on the server in the most secure way
possible.

They also mentioned with AES_* that you could set the key at connection,
then NOT send it with each query.

I think AES_* is only available on MySQL 4+, so it's ruled out anyway.

> DES_ENCRYPT/DES_DECRYPT is using DES which doesn't totally suck, but, again,
> the issue is the des_key_files.  If *THOSE* are secure from prying eyes, but
> MySQL can still read them somehow, it might be "okay"...  But making it
> possible for MySQL to read them, but not "too open" for other users is
> somewhat of an oxymoron, maybe.  I dunno enough about how MySQL accesses
> these files and if it starts as 'root' like Apache and then does 'su' or
> what, but I'd be very, very careful figuring out *exactly* how MySQL can
> read these files safely, but a rogue user should have *NO* *CHANCE* at
> getting to them.

DES_* requires MySQL to config'd with SSL, which it hasn't been, so this
option is also shot down.

> Bottom line -- You've *GOT* to make sure you have no chinks in the armour.

Thanks *HEAPS* for your info.  I emailed my ISP to bitch to them about all
this s**t, and they're putting together a new Linux package at the moment
which has mcrypt() support... so hopefully in a minth or so, things will be
cool... otherwise, it'll be time to move hosts :)

Justin French