> Thanks for quick response. Just a couple of silly questions:
>
> - changed where? in php or apache? My host is running the "three week old"
> v 4.2.2 of php so I guess you mean apache?

No, I mean PHP.  The 4.2.2 release was a security fix for 4.2.1 only.
None of the changes for the past couple of months, including this one, is
in it.

> - If I can in fact get them to change it in http.conf for my virtual host
> block then I will have these huge (!) settings for my whole site rather
> than just the necessary scripts. Is there any downside to this (other than
> misbehaved scripts being really misbehaved)?

Yes, you will have them for your whole site.  If you want to limit them to
a certain directory or a certain file, tell them to put the settings
inside appropriate <Directory> or <Location> blocks.

-Rasmus