Hi Monte,

> Hi, I have a question about fgets(), it seems to pick up an extra line
> at the end of a text file.
> 8\n
> Here is the output (showing newlines as \n):
> buffer is 1\n
> buffer is 2\n
> buffer is 3\n
> buffer is 4\n
> buffer is 5\n
> buffer is 6\n
> buffer is 7\n
> buffer is 8\n
> buffer is
> My question, why is there an extra line? Or in other words, how do I get
> this to loop exactly 8 times if there are only 8 lines?

The answer is that there isn't an 'extra' line, there are as many as you
put/PHP reads!
The question to ask is: how does a stream file end?
Answer: with an EOF character (not an LF).

Lines in a (*nix) stream file are separated by LF or \n character, therefore
there is a ninth 'line' (of absolutely nothing) between the last LF and the
EOF. Take out that last \n and things should work the way you want.

Regards,
=dn