I'm trying to figure out how I can format the results from a MySQL query so
that I can display several records per row, i.e., I'd like to be able to
format the results in a table with 3 columns, and as many rows as needed.
Please excuse my inability to be concise - my brain seems to be fried from a
long day.

I'm used to returning query results in a loop which prints out each record
in a row:

    while (list($FirstName, $LastName) = mysql_fetch_row($result)) {

        echo "
        ";
    }

however that returns a page that looks like this:

Joe Cool
John Doe
Homer Simpson
Bob Vila
Dr. Suess
Captain Crunch

I'm hoping to display the results so that I can have several results per
line like so:

Joe Cool        John Doe        Homer Simpson
Bob Vila        Dr. Suess       Captain Crunch

in my naïve thinking, I'm guessing that I'd need to count the query results
(mysql_num_rows) and divide them by 3.

so if I had 25 records and I wanted them listed 3 per line, I would divide
25/3 = 8.33 and round it up to the next number meaning I would have 9 rows,
the last row only having one record.

this is about as far as I get before I start getting a bad headache. ;)

I'm hoping someone might know of an article/tutorial on how to accomplish
this so I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

many thanks in advance,

brian