often i use text files at my data sources, delimted by the "|" symbol.
i simply delimit the fields of each line, then when i need to open them,
i open the text file, populate an array with each line, then explode the
fields for each to get the corresponding values.   i use this method for
catalogs - and even backend interfaces, for which the client can
add/edit/delete products.  everything seems to be working fine, and
there doesn't seem to be a need for MySQL or anything.  i was wondering
if there is anything i'm not thinking of that perhaps would push me to
favor using php and mysql instead of the plain old text file.