Hello,

On 09/08/2002 11:51 AM, Petre Agenbag wrote:
> Hi list
> Is is possible to change the default behaviour of the mail() function to
> send the message to the queue instead of trying to send it immediately?
> I did do some research into this a while back, but it never really got
> to a point where I was completely satisfied with the results. I can
> recall from then that the behaviour of the mail() function was inherited
> from the way sendmail was configured on the server, but I cannot go that
> route ( ie, reconfigure sendmail to send all mail requests to the queue,
> as the server is not only a webserver, but servers my clients normal
> e-mail as well), so I'm basically asking if it is possible to "override"
> the sendmail behaviour when you issue the mail() function, or to even
> compose and write the message directly to the /var/spool/mqueue folder (
> that would obviously NOT use the mail() function).
> The reason for all this is that there are some clients that are
> abusing/miss-using the mail() function to query a mysql db of 20K users
> with a while() loop and then doing a mail() inside the while, this is
> causing some serious problems on my server, and I'm trying to look for
> ways to put a tab on this.So any other suggestions are also very
> welcome.

You need to set the DeliveryMode option to queue. Take a look at this
class and in particular to the sendmail_mail.php scripth that is a
wrapper arround the class to emulate the mail() function but in a way
that lets you configure sendmail delivery mode directly from your
scripts. Set the delivery_mode variable of the $message_object to
SENDMAIL_DELIVERY_QUEUE .

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,