That's because in the newer versions of php the register globals
directive is set to off by default...If you turn that directive on
and then restart apache, you will be able address GET/POST vars
normally (by their identical var name)

  - Mike D

>Hi,
>
>I didn't realized that PHP had been going so fast that it was creating
>problems for compatiblility.
>
>Here is my situation: PHP on my development server is 4.0.6 while
>on the application server it is PHP 4.2.2. I bet you all know that there's
>a huge basic differences between the two but I don't know them!
>In PHP 4.2.2, variables passed by either GET or POST method can
>not be accessed straitforwardly by their name, you have to fetch them
>from $HTTP_POST_VARS or $HTTP_GET_VARS. To my understanding,
>directly using submitted variables by their name is one of the basic great
>PHP features, and I always use vars in this way. However, you can
>imagine that, recently due to the PHP upgrading I got bunch of problems
>when deploying.
>
>What I want to know are:
>1. why PHP changed the way to access submitted vars;
>2. any good suggestion to avoid this problem, such as that is it possible
>to configure 4.2.2 to compatible downward.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Alex Shi
>
>BTW: my development server is RH Linux 7.1 so cannot upgrade PHP
>to 4.2.2.
>

>--

Mike Dunlop
Webmaster
Animation World Network
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.awn.com
(323) 606-4238 office
(323) 466-6619 fax
6525 Sunset Blvd.  GS10 Los Angeles, CA  90028
USA