Storing passwords in MD5 or another hash is an excellent idea because it is
generally not possible to decrypt them (if the user uses a bad password they
can be brute forced but you can only do so much).  By storing passwords in
MD5 you protect your users passwords, if your database gets cracked their
passwords are still relatively secure.

You generally should not use a reversible encryption technique to store
something like user passwords, the reason being that in order to decrypt the
passwords you must store the encryption key in your code, when someone gets
access to your code (which they will or at least you must assume they will)
all they have to do is look in your code for your encryption key, after that
decrypting your user's passwords is trivial.  The worst thing is most users
use the same password for almost everything that means that many of their
other accounts are now compromised and they may not even know it.  It can be
argued the user should use a more secure password and not use the same one
in many places however the user is a being of convenience and is unlikely to
remember more than one password anyway :)

In short this has been covered probably thousands of times on this list but
I did not want a newer user to make the mistake of using an insecure method
of storing passwords, either putting them in the DB in plain text or using a
reversible encryption technique that is equally insecure because of the
implementation.

Jason Sheets, CCNA, MCSE