Set TEXTSIZE usually does it for me:

<?
mssql_connect ($conn, $user, $pwd);
mssql_select_db ($db);
mssql_query ('Set TEXTSIZE 2147483647');

mssql_query ('Select text_column from table where Id = 1');
?>

Make sure that you select a database first and that the connection is
not closed between your Set TEXTSIZE op and the actual query. If you are
not specifying a connection in you mssql_query statement, make sure that
you haven't opened a different connection between Set TEXTSIZE and your
actual query--PHP uses the most recently opened connection as a default,
and if you open a new connection between the two queries, the second
connection will not have the TEXTSIZE set. Hope that helps.

Marco