http://www.php.net/manual/sv/printwn/language.variables.predefined.php
-or this-
<quote from the docs>
In PHP 4.2.0 and later, the default value for the PHP directive register_globals
is off. This is a major change in PHP. Having
 register_globals off affects the set of predefined variables available in the
global scope. For example, to get DOCUMENT_ROOT you'll
 use $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] instead of $DOCUMENT_ROOT, or $_GET['id'] from the
URL
 http://www.example.com/test.php?id=3 instead of $id, or $_ENV['HOME'] instead of
$HOME.
</quote>