It seems that the problem is with IE, and characters in the domain name.
  This is a beta site (of one of my existing sites), and I have the
virtual host name set as "by-tor_v70".  I tried setting the cookie on
another virtual host running on the same box, and it worked.  So, I
removed the underscore from the name, and the cookie worked fine.  Live
and learn, eh?  IE6 != underscores.  Thanks for the help guys.