Brent --

Thanks for the pointer, but it doesn't really address the problem. I am specifying the character set for the page (ISO-8859-1), and I'm inserting an ACCEPT-CHARSET parameter into the FORM element, but it specifies acceptable charsets as UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, and Windows 1252. The problem isn't accepting or displaying the characters correctly, the problem is figuring out what characters PHP thinks it's looking at!

After further investigation, I find that ISO-8859-1 doesn't even use ASCII codes 128-159, so when a user types in a smart quote, it can't _really_ be using Latin 1 (but could be Windows Latin 1).

Oddly enough, I've set the page charset to "ISO-8859-1" (which doesn't have a smart quote), and my browser is set to "Use character set specified by server", and it displays a smart quote just fine with chr(147). If I manually change my browser to use "Latin 1", it displays a ? (unknown character symbol). So between browsers, character sets, meta tags, and operating systems, I'm beginning to think that interpreting high-ASCII input is an art rather than a science...

spud.