Hi Manuel Lemos,

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 02:28:31 -0300, you wrote about "Re: [PHP] Multiple
Addresses Mailer" something that looked like this:

>You are contradicting yourself. Most mailing list programs put all
>recipients in Bcc: and queue only on message, so it is the same thing
>that you are recommending against and for it.

But most listservers generate a new message for each receiver. Most
mailservers, my own included, do not accept more than 5 recipients in the
bcc field...50 total for to and cc combined (some allow more).

The limit's there to prevent spam. Also it would be abuse of the intent to
use bcc for the entire list of receivers. Also you cannot have a bcc
without a to field anyway ...

>Spam filters that discard messages which the recipients are in Bcc: are
>wrong, just like everybody that filters messages with general criteria
>like that. Anyway, it is their problem if they discard messages arbitrarily.

If the bcc field is the only field with a receiver, then the message is
malformed and should be rejected. The To:, Subject:, and Date: fields are
required to fullfill RFC 822. If you only get Bcc: and no To:, then the
message should be bounced, that's how alot of spam used to be addressed,
and some still is.

>You need to check with the ISP if sending to many recipients respects
>the acceptable use policy. If they don't accept bulk mailing, it doesn't
>matter the method you use.

I've never met an ISP that would refuse bulk mailing, as long as you can
proove that you've got concent from the receivers for the messages. My
mail server handles all the concent things itself, and sofar my ISPs have
not complained about the up to 3 digit amounts of message that go out each
day, with up to 4 digits coming in...

--
Rene Brehmer
System developer in the making...

This message was written on 100% recycled spam.

Come see! My brand new site is now online!
http://www.metalbunny.net