Well, what you could do is write one function that gets all the values that you need and fills the variables up with them, AND write a bunch of functions that get one value at a time. Then depending on the conditions or parameters/values needed or recieved and such, you can call the function best suited for the situation. If all the values are needed, call the function to get them all, if only a few are need, call only the functions that get the needed values, or some combination of this. You could argue that what if you need all of the values but one, well then just call the function that gets all the vars and just ignore that the last var is set. You could also do this by even having one function that it something like this:

I would prolly do something like this (maybe ;) depending on the situation...

where 0 is false (or don't get this var), and
1 is true (or get this var)

function get_somevars( getvar1 = 0, getvar2 = 0, getvar3 = 0) {

we don't get any by default, and the ones that we do want we pass the function 1 values like so...

get_somevers(1, 0, 1); // or get var1 and var3 but don't get var2

HTH,

Matt