Hello,

IANAL, so...

"Mako Shark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <<If the OP was concerned about such issues then
> he/she should not be using GIF at all!>>
>
> This is leading me to believe that I can't use GIFs
> because of these issues. Is this true? I know now that
> Unisys (Unisys?) made a fuss about some compression or
> whatever, but someone told me it was still okay to use
> old GDs (am I naive? maybe). Is it now considered
> piracy to use GIFs at all?

Try Google and see what you find out.

> Does this mean I have to
> switch over to JPGs, even those images that compress
> better with GIFs?

No, not really. You can use PNGs instead.

> I just assumed we were still
> permitted, what with Jasc and everybody still allowing
> it in their products. Is JPEG (or PNG) the way to go?

JPEG? Whatever happened to Forgent?

I wish the browsers support JPEG2000--no worries about royalites and/or
license fees. Besides, it's better than JPEG anyway (I mean, image quality
and filesize, etc). Or, maybe, there's something better...

> I hesitate using PNGs since they seem to be the
> least-supported out of the 'big three'.

Not really.

Anyway, I think, this might be of interest:

  http://burnallgifs.org/

or maybe this one:

  http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/18/157217.shtml?tid=155

- E