Rasmus,

Thanks for you reply.  I agree that what you suggest is the correct solution for the
mail delivery scenario I used as an example.

My example was poor in that in limited the scope of what I was asking.

I have other situations where I would like to somehow "spawn" a new php process so
that the page loads quickly and my user doesn't get frustrated or confused.

Another such situation would be when I do time consuming operations on a MySql table,
such as building an index or loading data.  These operations may take several minutes
and I'd like to avoid having to make my user wait for the page to load.

What is the correct solution for this problem?

I'm a newcomer to PHP, am quite excited by it, and really appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Bob

>>> Rasmus Lerdorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/26/02 11:46AM >>>
The correct solution for this particular problem is to just queue the
outbound mail and have your MTA deliver them out of band.  "man sendmail"

-Rasmus