I have incorporated most of the suggestions.  My most recent code is:

<?

$db_name = "db1";
$table_name = "user";

$connection = mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "password") or
die("Couldn't connect.");

$db = mysql_select_db($db_name, $connection) or die("Couldn't select
database.");

$sql = "UPDATE user
        SET
        name = '$name',
        lname = '$lname',
        mobil = '$mobil',
        email = '$email',
        url = '$url',
        WHERE id= '$id'

";

$result = mysql_query($sql,$connection) or mysql_error("Couldn't execute
query.");

?>