Rolf,

> > the document_root just doesn't show up in my phpinfo();
> >
> > do windows machines have one anyway?
> > I have used this var before, just not testing it locally.
> >
> > It normally shows up when I use phpifno on the server.

Please check/compare the entries for doc_root = in the two PHP.INI files.
Are they the same/given a value. NB:

; The root of the PHP pages, used only if nonempty.
; if PHP was not compiled with FORCE_REDIRECT, you SHOULD set doc_root
; if you are running php as a CGI under any web server (other than IIS)
; see documentation for security issues.  The alternate is to use the
; cgi.force_redirect configuration below
;doc_root =;;;;;;

Regards,
=dn