Erich Kolb wrote:
I am going to be dealing with a ton of data shortly and my goal is to make
it accessible via the web.  I am curious about the performance differences
between using a database or leaving the data in the individual files they
originated in.  Can anyone offer any recommendations?
Depends on what you mean by "a ton of data" and what kind of work you will do with the data.

If all you will do is display the file as is on the web, then leave in file format.

If the data needs to be searched, parsed, or indexed, the use a DB.

My 2 cents,

Jc