redhat linux 7.3
apache 1.3.27
mysql 3.23.49
php 4.0.4pl1 (static install)
mod_ssl-2.8.12

the box had php 4.2.3 installed on it originally.
we had a mysql application that would only run
with php version 4.0.4pl1 so we installed the
old version of php and everything worked.

then we ran autorpm with the 'interactive' setting
(just downloading and not auto installing) and the
application broke. when I run debug_phpinfo it
says version 4.2.3. we have reinstalled php
version 4.0.4pl1 and debug_phpinfo still says
version 4.2.3 and the app. remains broken. yes
we copied the php.ini file after the install.

we checked the new php binary and its definitely
version 4.0.4pl1. we're pulling our hair out.
what are we doing wrong/do we have yet to do?

thanks!