Hello all.  I have a customer that purchased on of my scripts and
attempted
to install it on their server.  This script, among other things, FTPs a
text file
from a central server.  When we tried to run my script, it simply
stops.  No
errors, no nothing.  I talked to his host and found out that they do
not allow
PHP FTP because it is a security risk.  ?????  Ummmm, ok?

I spoke with my customer about this and below is what his web host told
him.
My understanding of PHP FTP is that my script opens an ftp connection
from
the server to another FTP server somewhere else on the internet.
Basically,
PHP FTP does nothing more than a program like SmartFTP or WS-FTP.  Even

the first line in the PHP manual about FTP says "The functions in this
extension
implement client access to file servers speaking the File Transfer
Protocol (FTP)"

Someone please tell me that I am correct and that this webhost is
wrong.  :)

Chris

I have been speaking with our linux techs, and have gained a more
complete understanding of the feature in PHP that you want to use.  We
actually did have it enabled at one point, and it caused the server to
be compromised.  Essentially, it allows people on a machine to be able
to transfer files from anywhere on the internet.  This begs for people
who want to run warez sites, and the like, to hack the server, and use
it for their own illegal software stores.  The level of permission
required to allow this to run allows people to essentially load, and
run
whatever they want.  This is an EXTREME security problem. I understand
that you are moving, and I cannot persuade you differntly, but please
take my advise and do some independant research.  The individual that
is
advising you about this program is downplaying some real problems. It
is
the opinion of our techs, that if you are running this, eventaully,
you
WILL be hacked.  There a plenty of things that can be done to ftp to a
machine without that functionality running.

   We know that you have a number of sites, and we know that you would
likely referr business.  That being the case, it just doesn't make
sense
that we would not do this for you if it were safe, or even a minor
problem.  It is a big problem, not just with us, but with anyone
running
it on the internet.  Please ask someone other than the person that is
trying to sell it to you.  That is all we ask.