From: Christopher Ditty [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 3:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] PHP FTP a security risk?????

Chris, Did you read the rest of the message?  It sounds like the web
host is saying that
someone can access PHP FTP from an outside server and hack into the
server.

I am not trying to start a debate on whether or not people should send
passwords and
userids over plain text.  Yes, that is a security risk.  My concern is
that this webhost is
telling my customer that PHP FTP itself is a security risk when it does
nothing more than
act like ws-ftp.

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Chris Wesley wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Christopher Ditty wrote:
>
> > errors, no nothing.  I talked to his host and found out that they
do
> > not allow PHP FTP because it is a security risk.  ?????  Ummmm,
ok?

> That said ... FTP is a protocol;  there's nothing stopping you from
> opening a socket and talking FTP back & forth across it (unless your
host
> has disabled fsockopen() too).  If you know the protocol, you
probably
> know how and why to avoid its security concerns.
>
> Other options:  Move to a less security-minded hosting provider
(looks
> like you've already started that), or ask the FTP server admin to
provide
> download access to your file via HTTP.

You might find this interesting too -- straight from Example 1 for
fopen()
in the PHP manual:  http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php

$handle = fopen ("ftp://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/somefile.txt";, "w");

        b.careful ... g.luck,
        ~Chris