At 09:21 23-2-2003, you wrote:
[i] How or why do researchers adapt technology to their research projects? Should they adapt their projects to technology? Indeed, how often does the research assistant end up reinventing the wheel? [/i]

'Research' is an extremely broad field, with many places where technology can jump in: observation, data collection, data entry, making mathematical models, making statistics, making graphs or GIS pictures.... Walk through the average university corridor and most ppl will use something existing, like office, SPSS, MatLab... But you will also find ppl writing their own models, not in PHP but rather in other languages. I think your would need to make some very specific questions and ask at your local university whether they can help you.

I know most of you are E-Commerce oriented, but I would appreciate your feedback. I use PHP & MySQL in a university research setting. I'm writing a conference paper on this problematic and I would appreciate your input.

Am I the only university type online tonight :) ?

On courses you can have a look at the Moodle site: developer of the PHP course support sytem Moodle.org has written papers on this distant learning (and is writing his dissertation now). But 99% of universities and highschools buy Blackboard 'because everybody else does'.

I am only using PHP/MySQL to let researchers put their work online, and will use it to let PhD's administrate their own progress, which will be a big relief for the administration people. So it is university related but not really research related.