Right, well there's a few issues here.

1.

You're asking if there's a way to parse a QXD file so retrieve the text from
it.  I doubt this can be done.  I had a quick google for it, to no luck.  I
also bothered to open up a Quark 3.32 file in my text editor, to check out
the source.  It looks pretty complex.

However, there MAY be some light at the end of the tunnel.

a) PHP *IS* able to read and write PDF format.  Prerhaps if your newspaper
designers export a PDF of the newspaper (relatively easy). you can pick up
the pieces you need through the PDF, rather than the QXD file.

b) What you're really talking about is using one set of data in multiple
ways (web & print, then maybe email, WAP, PDA, etc).  What I'd be aiming to
do is have all the text/content stored in a shared database or easy-to-parse
file format (like XML), so that the writers write to this format, then the
designers copy + paste to Quark, the editors can edit directly in the XML
file or via database GUIs, and people in charge of other content formats
(like web_ can either copy + paste from the central content, or parse it
with a program like PHP.

c) Perhaps your company should look at Adobe InDesign 2 -- I read an article
which briefly discussed it's ability to parse or read from XML files -- so
you could have a simple XML doc:

---
<article>

    <id>28</id>

    <title>Learning about XML</heading>

    <subtitle>I wish I had time to explore this properly!</subtitle>

    <author>Justin French</author>

    <email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</email>

    <keywords>XML,Justin,Foo,Bah,PHP</keywords>

    <content>

blah.</p>

    </content>

</article>
---

I *think* InDesign 2 can take this data, and with the designer's help,
format it to a "designed" article.

At the very least, you could export some nice clean plain text for the
designer to copy+paste, which is probably what they already do (copy+paste
from Word to Quark.

2. Image files in Quark need to be either TIFF or EPS format.  So, what you
need is a way of copying these files, converting them to JPEGs, GIFs or
PNGs, and resizing them to suit the web.

I don't really know if the image functions in PHP can do this... best left
to others.

You *could* batch convert everything to a RGB JPEG using photoshops batch
processing and actions, THEN get PHP or Photoshop to do the resizing etc.

However, "cropping and whatnot" of a file is often something that can ONLY
be done by eye... You may never be able to achieve this with automated
computer programs.

Think about the real issue.  Is it "taking stuff from quark and messing with
it", or is it "having a good clean source of data which can be used many
ways"?

Justin French