New question #39576 on phpns:
https://answers.launchpad.net/phpns/+question/39576

Now that i have finally integrated SEF-URLs on my page, i don't know if it it
possible to exclude certain URLs from being rewritten. There are a lot of
outdated links pointing to my site. I did setup a custom 404 error page, so
once in a while even google recognizes they do not exist anymore. Now with
SEF-URLs active, all these old URLs get redirected to PHPNS error page (article
not found). I guess, this way all the googles will never remove these URLS from
their index. Can i exclude for exmple everything that ends with .html or .php
from being rewritten?

Phpns-team, which is an answer contact for phpns.