Thanks for looking into this.  I just did some testing with the php soap
extension and specifying the type as "xsd:string" on the anyType argument
indeed fixes my problem.  It would be great to somehow specify the type of
the anyType.  Just trying to infer the type might not be powerful enough to
detect complex types.

Thanks,
     Charlie