The problem with having PHPTAL generate the documentation is that some
templates might not be used often, for example one for a obscure
feature of the site, so the documentation might not be uptodate.

If you think this is what you actually need, you can use
PHPTAL::setPreFilter() to register a callback which parses the
template looking for comments and stores them wherever you wish.

Iván