I would argue that compile time type inferencing in Scala is not
comparable to shortening an attribute name.  The intent of the feature
in Scala is not to lessen the number of characters typed, but to
eliminate the need to explicitly specify the type of a variable if
that type is obvious as that could be considered redundant.  A side
effect of this feature just happens to be fewer characters typed.

I would also argue that the only thing really gained by shortening the
attribute names is fewer characters typed.  After the debate over
whose shortened attribute name has the best balance of conciseness and
clarity, the only thing different is the number of characters typed.
There is no added or simplified functionality.  Additionally, with
respect to refactoring and maintenance, I would argue that it's far
more important to understand the TALES expression assigned to the
attribute than having fewer characters to skip over to get to said
expression.

Anecdotally, I've found that the volume of characters that comprise
the TALES expressions, especially for things like tal:attributes, so
far out numbers those that comprise the attribute name that saving a
handful of characters is made largely irrelevant.

Darrell Hamilton,
Software Developer,
4over, Inc
darre...@4over.com