So, you are trying to subtly suggest having a strict mode which uses a
pre-filter to turn this behavior off?  However, I like the current behavior
because it allows me to slowly migrate old pages over to phptal.  Also, it
allows me to write a pre-filter that allows me to see what code hasn't been
changed.