Overall I am quite impressed.  I am running xpath.class.php on a
hurricane electric dual-PIII server and I have some good results as well
as some bad.  Building up the tree for a 1,000 line (fair complex) xml
file takes 0.17 seconds and to dump it back out directly to either a
string or file takes 0.13 seconds, so a total of 0.3 seconds, which is
pretty darn quick for 1000 lines.  Adding children and attributes takes
no time at all and is neglible in the results.  Evaluating can be
tricky...for 1000 lines it can take up to 0.27 seconds, depending on
where the node is located for 1000 lines.  The extremely variable (and
slow) feature is the removeChild function, which if removing a child at
the end of a set of nodes, takes almost no time at all (0.03 seconds)
but if it is at the beginning, (0.4 seconds)  So to process a 1000 line
XML file with a few modifications here and there, takes about 1 second
if the modifications are involved with heavy evaluating and removing,
and as fast as 0.3 seconds if the modifications deal soley with adding
and modifying.

So, thoughts on the removeChild function, any way to make this faster?

Dan