I'm currently thinking about how to do graphics with an performant,
easy-to-use and moderately platform neutral way.

Maybe it's time to drop the java2d layer and target OpenGL directly?
OpenGL seems to be widely available - and JOGL even is integrated with
JDK 1.6.

But a simple scenegraph API is highly desireable - and P2D is the
simplest I've seen so far.

And which is the best candidate for the underlying renderer? OpenGL?
OpenGL ES? Is there such a thing as JOGL-ES? OpenVG sadly seems to be
irrelevant (no implementations available).

The longer I think about it, the more I'd love to see a SVG-IO enabled,
OpenGL (ES) backed, /simple/ 2D scenegraph API.

Or is in times of 3D-, shadow- and highlighting-effects on buttons etc.
OpenGL the inevitable choice anyhow? But I don't like the idea to use
blender for GUI design - I'd very much prefer a SVG editor like inkscape.

What do you think about that? Is it sensible to push P2D in that direction?

P.S.: I had a brief look into some APIs but didn't see something as
simple as P2D. Check out those Webstart demos: