This is a really interesting use case. Swing's drag and drop (DnD)
support is based on Swing JComponents.

Piccolo2D is rooted at a PCanvas (which implements JComponent), so
that is where the DnD support would have to be installed. But you want
a Piccolo *PNode* to be drag-and-droppable.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but this is an idea... You
will install the DnD TransferHandler on the PCanvas. When you detect
that a node is clicked on, you start the DnD transfer
(PCanvas.getTransferHandler().exportAsDrag(...)--something like that.)
I *think* Swing let's you customize the graphic that is used when your
within a DnD operation (see
TransferHandler.getVisualRepresentation()). So you would need to make
this graphic look like the PNode that is dragging, and I think that
would give a nice DnD effect for PNodes.

Thoughts?