I know about the stalled work that is already there for java6.

It's no where near to maximizing the currently available language features
and APIs.
e.g. No generics?

I have also read issue 190. The last comment pretty much sums up the
problem I'm trying to correct.
Not only was Java 5 EOL, but Java 6 will be soon. Java 7 has been out for
over a year.

I want to branch. The branch will break backward compatibility.
People who either can not or will not use the branch, do not have to.
That's why it's a "branch".

Is there something specif in the license that prohibits me from creating a
branch or just opening up
another google code project and proceeding from there?

thanks
rjs