Hi Boh Yap,

thanks for the info!

> .and $ ls /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/   shows:
> i386/   ppc/    ppc64/  x86_64/

So this looks quite promising :-)

> 2. In Apple's Developer Docs they admit its not updated...
> ..and in the addressing mode chapter, it doesn't mention 64 bit
> registers for i386.

I see.

> but the assembler has an 'arch' flag, and there is a 'x86-64' version
> of the assemble in  /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/x86_64/as, whatever that
> means.
> ..so perhaps all that's needed is to set the 'arch' flag?

Again, this gives hope.

> 3. >'...The Makefile in the "src64/" directory is already prepared for
> "Darwin"
>
> Yes its there but running 'make' gives this error:
>     make: *** No rule to make target `sys/darwin.code.l', needed by
> `x86-64.darwin.base.s'.  Stop.

OK, this is all right. There are two system-dependent files required:

   src64/sys/darwin.defs.l
   src64/sys/darwin.code.l

For a first try, we might just make copies of the existing
"linux.defs.l" and "linux.code.l", and modify them later.

What do you think? Would you dare to try that? What I would like to know
first of all is whether that assembler really understands the 64-bit
instructions, and whether it is compatible with the GNU assembler
distributed with Linux.

> PS
> I apologize for being really ignorant about all this, a misspent
> youth, too much with high level languages I guess.... ;-)

It is never too late :-)

Many thanks!