Hi guys,

On Thursday 09 June 2011 20:41:02 Alex wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 11:18:29AM +0200, Alexander Burger wrote:
> > > Also - I find the general idea of using picolisp as an embedded control
> > > language inside other applications interesting, not just this special
> > > platform.
> >
> > So it would be nice to get pil32 or pil64 running.
>
> If you want to stick with miniPicoLisp, there is another idea:
>
> We can release the restriction that code must be aligned to certain byte
> bondaries if you encode the function pointers differently.

IIRC, the Amiga's instructions set guarantees that every function is 4-byte
aligned anyway, on round 4-byte boundary, simply because every instruction is
exactly 4 bytes (32bits). If that's the case, perhaps it could be enough to
`fake' function addresses by adding `2' before exposing them to miniPicoLisp
virtual machine; the address would get fix'd up by the current evSubr() macro
before use anyway?

That is, leave the evSubr() macro as-is, but instead adjust the way the
function address is exposed to the mPL virtual machine.

@Alex
are all functions in miniPicoLisp aligned to 2-byte boundary on IA-32?
Wouldn't that hamper performance -- as opposed to the preferred 4-byte
alignment?

Regards,
--
dexen deVries

``One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.''