Hi Jon,

> As you can see here
> <https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.software-lab.de%2Fdoc%2Fref.html>
> there are three more places in that ref.html where a “;” is missing (error
> #51, #58, #68).

Thanks!

I'm also always using http://validator.w3.org, but I use it directly
(Validate by File Upload), enter the file name and press "Check". All
ref*.html files pass the tests, by saying: "This document was
successfully checked as HTML 4.0 Transitional!"

So you are using "an ongoing experiment in better HTML checking".

It starts by complaining about the doctype. The files state explicitly
"HTML 4.0 Transitional", but your link suggests just <!DOCTYPE html>.
I'm using that in other places, but I thought to stay with transitional
as it makes life easier (not so many closing tags are required etc.)

Also, the line numbers in the error listing seem quite strange. They to
up to line 2769, despite the fact that the wohle file has only 594
lines.

So before opening a pandora box, we should make sure where to go with
the documentation. Should we start with changing the doctype, and edit
through all the files to fix them?