" http[s]://server.org/12345/path/file

  is forwarded to a server on localhost listening on port 12345, to ask for the resource
"path/file". "

How is this resource generated from the "path/file" request.  Is "path/file" a real
pathname and file?  I come from Drupal and PHP and the URLs are all "virtual" or simply patterns
and don't refer to a real filesystem, unless a real file is requested and those all live in one special
directory which is generally BASE_URL/sites/default/files.

In the Drupal context a call to produce http:BASE_URL/about-us is kind of a call to the
"produce the about-us page" function.  This activates some php/drupal magic and generally
accesses a db and spits out the called for "page".