On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 07:20:36PM +0000, dean wrote:
> I just came back to say that the above worked well for both strings and
> numbers entered directly as the passed functions argument but not (it seems
> :) ) for when the argument is supplied in a symbol. eval might well cope
> with that and if not...I'll work on it.

Yes, you should really try to understand Lisp's evaluation mechanisms.

(eval Lst) evaluates the normal way, thus evaluating the elements of the list in
turn.

You might also consider 'apply', which passes the elements of a list to a
function without evaluating them again. This would be in your case

   (apply (car Lst) (cdr Lst))