Is the garbage collection in picolisp immediate if the resource can be
released?

No, picolisp uses a mark and sweep halt the world garage collector. During
sweep phase the complete allocated RAM is checked. If that would happen
after each release of a resource picolisp would be very slow.
Furthermore in Picolisp it is not possible to decide whether a resource can
be released or not with out doing mark and sweep. This is because of cyclic
list and the fact that you could always have a symbol pointing to that cell.