Mhh it seems that my answer is not relevant to your question.

I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but I think, in this case, a
'recursive' solution that renders as points are created would use a lot
less resources, assuming that processed replacement rules are garbage
collected as the stack unwinds and elements are traversed over.

​This sound like a case for 'co ​