Sorry for the late reply.

JC I think you probably downloaded TinyCore 32-bit (x86) by accident. You need the 64-bit version: http://www.tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86_64/release/

Get the ISO file "TinyCorePure64-9.0.iso" (27MB) and boot your VM from that. If you only want "headless" (no X), then you can try the "CorePure64-9.0.iso" (14MB).

Another option, if you don't mind paying, you can rent a VPS server for US $5/mo from Linode (or maybe OVH?). I was connecting to that over SSH for my 64-bit PicoLisp development (Debian 64-bit).

AW