[ sorry for duplacates; I've realized I have sent this from a wrong
  From: address, so I'm sending  it again ]

Hello.

I don't usually write here, but I believe this is important.

I agree that the tone used initialy by Guido was really bad. But
there are strong arguments that lead to what he said.

I would like to at least present the argument, even if only
pointing to external references. Because there is one, and for
the same reason I don't like when people go saying that "earth is
flat", or that "there is no coronavirus" [0], because that is strongly
disrespectful of science, I also believe that for agreeing or
disagreeing on the subject being discussed on this thread, one would
also need to show where the agreement or disagrement comes from.
Scientifically -- and I'm including human sciences.

The argument would not be strictly in exact sciences, and that may
be why it is uncomfortable for programmers to actually pay attention
to it [1]. The argument would likely go through Mumford, Foucault,
Deleuze, Zuboff. I wont reproduce it here.

However, cryptographer Phil Rogaway did write an essay that is closely
related to that, and explains much of the core of it. It is called
"The Moral Character of Cryptographic Work" [2], and is really
brilliant. This as a distingueshed IACR lecture in 2015 [3]. IACR
is the International Association for Cryptologic Research [4].

So. One important thing: Lewis Mumford noticed [5] that technology
is not always of the same kind. Sometimes it is more useful than
damaging, and sometimes it is the other way around (the terminology he
used is different, but it is the same). And people have been working
on developing technology without any attention to that (nuclear energy is
the usual first example of this. Rogaway metions the Russel-Einstein
manifesto, for example. It was written by two exact science researchers!
Rogaway also mentions in his text that "Academic  cryptography  used  to
be  more  political" -- check that.

A few examples may be interesting.
With nuclear energy, there came a requirement for more authoritarianism,
stronger vertical power structures. Why?  Because the potential for damage
is huge. See, for example, the radioactive boy scout, David Hahn [6].
I do recall that there was some similar incident in Europe, but couldn't
easily find the reference.
Besides requiring more authoritative power, nuclear energy is also
related to several disasters, and there is thenuclear waste problem.

Am example closer to programmers: deep fake. "We have neural networks, and
we now can train deep networks" - everybody is happy. "We can use
deep learning in videos and audios" - happier. Then comes deep fake.
It is hard -- and will possibly become harder and harder -- to detect
wether a video is fake or not. This could potentially lead
both criminology and investigative journalism to the pre-photography
era. There will be a solution, and I am afraid that it will, again,
require an even more authoritative society (your video, photo or
audio must have been recorded by a tivoized device with a unbreakable
crypto module, otherwise it is useless). AND you will need to
trust the manufacturer (they COULD use the private keys to create whatever
fake videos they want).

See... Technology is not "neutral". (Interestingly, this is also why
darktable --  a great software package -- does not have a face recognition
module [7])

As to LLVM. Being or not funded by a foundation is not really a good
criterion for assessing software, I'm afraid. But I can do this: I trust
the people who develop GCC. They have a longstanding strong ethical commitment,
and I have no reason to be afraid of what gcc may do on my system.
I don't trust LLVM, for several reaosns, so I avoid it as much as
possible.

Jerônimo
(The guy who maintains the LibreCMC and OpenWRT packages of Picolisp  [8] --
 by the way, OpenWRT and similar firmware would probbaly not exist if
 developers of Linux and several userland utilities had not picked
 the GNU/GPL as a license. Another example of a decision that does
 have an impact on how technology will be used and how it impacts
 people's lives. With LibreCMC, I have some more confidence that my
 router runs *strictly* what I want, for example. This is important for
 security, since I don't want to have to trust a big hardware maker.
 See, for example, what is already happening with other devices --
 smart TVs recording audio on your house and SENDING IT TO THE
 MANUFACTURER. And they don't even deny it)

[0] It is really sad that I have been seeing this a lot in my country.

[1] About the communication gap between exact sciences and human
sciences, see C. P. Snow, "TheTwo Cultures". There is a Wikipedia
page for the text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Cultures

[2] https://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/papers/moral-fn.pdf

[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-XebcVSyJw

[4] https://www.iacr.org/

[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_and_Civilization

[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn
    Also,
    Silverstein, Ken (2004).
    The Radioactive Boy Scout: The Frightening True Story of a
    Whiz Kid and His Homemade Nuclear Reactor.
    Villard.
    ISBN 978-0812966602.

[7] https://darktable.org/
    https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts/pull/100#issuecomment-351001162
    There is an external Lua script for that,

https://github.com/darktable-org/lua-scripts/blob/master/contrib/face_recognition.lua
    but the feature was denied
    into the core.

[8] https://gitlab.com/jpellegrini/openwrt-packages