Only topics whose questioners were present were discussed, so we didn't talk about the interpreter only approach, holding it as a topic for future session.

Alex addressed the "array avoidance" question, explaining the how arrays would complicate the core single data type implementation and approach of picolisp (that single data type being the cell). Further he talked about how most approaches that in other languages fall to arrays by default can be handled through picolisp lists, or creating more purpose built data structures rather than reaching for an array. Finally he showed how picolisp's native code interface can be used to malloc a section of heap memory and address it directly to create a direct access array like structure if that is absolutely required.

Then the question of how picolisp interacts with Java was discussed, and Alex showed examples in the Pilbox, and showed the named pipe mechanism used to send commands to the Java side and receive responses back to the picolisp world.

Olaf showed off his experimentation of using picolisp to communicate with JavaScript running in a browser to dynamically update SVG objects, creating animation. Olaf & Alex dug into some of the issues in the original experiment, and one source of problems was that the ServerEvent facility that Olaf was using only sends a single line at time to the other side.

Olaf's motto for the evening: "when you read the picolisp documentation, you have to read every word"

There may have a been a few other small topics that I am failing to recollect.

-wilhelm