On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:55 PM, David Soulayrol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  Le vendredi 28 mars 2008 à 13:06 -0700, Zdenek Sekera a écrit :
>
> > I followed the instructions, using
>  >
>  > First, what should I do if I want to install it soemwhere in my area,
>  > not\
>  > in the system space (not under root), is there something like --prefix
>  > to set my own install area?
>
>  After having built the program like you are trying, you can use the
>  optional --prefix flag this way:
>
>  python setup.py install --prefix=your_path_to_pida

I see, that's how it's done (you can see I'm really green in python...:-)
Thanks for hint.

>  This is the standard behaviour of a setup.py script. If you install Pida
>  somewhere out of your PATH and PYTHONPATH values, I suggest you should
>  write a script like this:
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  export PYTHONPATH=you_path_to_pida/lib/python2.4/site-packages
>  your_path_to_pida/bin/pida $*
>
>  I always install Pida this way.

Excellent advice, thanks!
When I managed to install it, I did just that, however got other opaque
error messages when starting it up, so I needed to do more, see below...

>  > /bin/sh: pygtk-codegen-2.0: command not found
>
>  As Tobias said, you need another package. On debian Lenny,
>  pygtk-codegen-2.0 is part of python-gtk2-dev. I don't know about Fedora.

I found the package, a few more needed to be installed and even then
I couldn't start pida, when the email of TermiT came:

> Why not just install using yum:
>
> #sudo yum install pida

> or any way you can just unpuck the pida rpm in your folder

I did just that only to discover even more rpm's were needed:

Installing for dependencies:
 gnome-python2-gtkhtml2  i386       2.19.1-13.fc8    updates            17 k
 python-kiwi             noarch     1.9.19-1.fc8     updates           435 k
 vim-X11                 i386       2:7.1.211-1.fc8  updates           992 k

And, of course, pida was installed in 'root' which I didn't want, but so
be it for now.

I could bring it up and it seemed to work, but have number of issues
(e.g., it uses system vim, I cannot force it to use 'mine' (which is
always up-to-date, while FC8 is not), it uses probably gnome terminal
for running shell, I have to run with 'xterm' for other reasons, etc...
so I am opening a few "bugs" (rather feature requests).

Otherwise it looks quite promising, I'll play with it more.

Thanks to all of you for a quick help with the installation.

---Zdenek