New question #77674 on Pidgin:
https://answers.launchpad.net/pidgin/+question/77674

 On my installation of Ubuntu 9.04 I am having problems logging into my Yahoo
instant messenger service. This is rather a large problem because the only way
I currently have is through my BlackBerry or if I log into my Yahoo mail
account and use the web interface. The Windows version works just fine so this
is clearly an issue with the Linux distribution through Synaptic. When will
this be fixed?

Pidgin Rocks, which is an answer contact for Pidgin.